Summer Murdock Workshop 18 April
SATURDAY 18 APRIL / 09 to 19 h. This workshop is in English and translated into Spanish
Documentary Family Photography
The Magic of Light
Summer will be teaching her wildly popular online workshop that sells out in literally seconds IN PERSON.
Summer has a profound sense of wonder and awe for light. She would argue that light can turn something ordinary into something otherworldly. It has the ability to amplify emotions and connections in images and speak straight to the heart. Light is one of the factors that takes an image from good to awe-inspring.
So if light is key in creating interesting images, are we really in control of it? Do we walk into a situation and really SEE the light and know how to use it to it’s fullest potential intentionally? The Magic of Light will push you to slow down, open your eyes and really SEE the light around you with fresh eyes. Happy accidents are awesome, but to really be in control of your craft, you should be able to walk into any situation and use the available light to it’s fullest potential. This class will encourage you to think outside the box and experiment with all kinds of light both indoors and outdoors. We will cover hazy backlight, dramatic sun-flare, rim light, heavily shadowed light, full sun, overcast, available artificial light, and more.
The Magic of Light will push you creatively as well as give you new technical knowledge and confidence that will help you let go of any fears about controlling the light around you and help you get the images that are stuck in your head out into your camera. All light may not be equal, but you really can make an interesting image in any kind of light.
What you will learn:
- explore how to slow down, be inspired by light and see it with fresh eyes
- understand how to create varying degrees of haze and control it with intention vs luck
- explore how to achieve dramatic sun-flare
- identify the specific conditions that create dramatic rim-light
- explore the important role shadow plays in relation to light
- learn how to best utilize the light after the sun goes down
- explore how to get creative through manipulating exposures
- identify some practical tips to make the most of overcast or flat light
- learn to embrace full sun. Life doesn’t always happen during the golden hour
- explore ways to use artificial light in creative ways